Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

on outsourcing childcare services :(

i am a working parent. like many malaysians, i have a maid.

my maid, with us for 8months now, has been ok so far. & i hope she will continue to be ok for the remainder of her stay here.

i am thankful that she gives out motherly vibes which my son has taken to. & my heart warms to see ethan speak in melodious tones to her. the same melodious tones that he uses when he speaks to us, his parents. why heart-warming? well, recently i've had the opportunity to witness how some kids speak to their maids in such contemptuous tones & i didnt like it.

i know theyre maids but in a world where there's way too much ugly discrimination going on, i'd like to practice a little non-discrimination in my own little world. of course, sometimes i lapse but i do try to try. ok so, in the name of being a little less discriminating, i suppose i should use the term "domestic helper" instead ya :) (or is that equally derogatory?? aiyakk...)

on whether i'm jealous of this bond my son has with my domestic helper, yes, of course. in my mind, i'm constantly in a battle with myself: is this right or is this wrong? & my answers to myself are always moving in a pendulum-like manner: yes its ok. no its just not right for my child to "sayang" someone else.

since indonesia's moratorium on domestic helpers coming in to malaysia, you'll notice how there are so many write-ups on whether we are becoming too dependent on domestic helpers especially for something as personal as childcare.

i speak only for myself, based on the circumstances that i face, yes, i am very dependent on help, especially now. having gone through 2 miscarriages, having help around the house & with my son has been a welcome intrusion in our lives. yes, we sacrifice some privacy. yes, it's a strain on the finances. yes, my son has developed an affection for her.


but this is life. or at least, this is MY life. at least, for now. it's not like i can quit my job & be a full-time stay-at-home-mom. it's not like we'll suddenly get our parents to take care of our kids. & even if ethan starts school, i still have other things to consider.

yes, i do feel guilty that someone else is doing the things that i should be doing for my son. feeding, bathing, putting him down for a nap, comforting him when he's ill, entertaining him, teaching him... yes, believe me, the guilt is there. & i have to face it every day. yes, i feel weirded out when my son hugs her. but then i tell myself to take comfort, that it's better for them to have genuine affection for each other. if theres that bond, then hopefully, she will treat him as her own child & only do what's best for him.

kan? i hope so.

actually ah, i'm not too worried about my son forgetting who his mom is. thats cos, for the first 2 years of his life, we didnt have a domestic helper. it was just the 3 of us & so our bond is quite strong. we can see that ethan knows who his parents are. however, my 2nd one is arriving soon & i hope she wont have problems knowing who her parents are :) since she'll also be bonding equally with a 3rd adult in the home-front.

so, heres to dealing with our lots in life. good luck to you :)

No comments: